Battlefield Detectives: Waterloo
Itv commissioned the University of Salford (UoS) and FusionGFX to create a digital interactive model, or virtual environment, of the battlefield at Waterloo for The History Channels Battlefield Detectives, Waterloo, documentary.
The documentary filmed the making of the virtual environment and its use by an historian to interpret the battle. This included the Hougamont Farm house, existing and non-extant surrounding buildings, and the topology of the neighbouring fields that were in line of sight.
- Performed a 3D LiDAR survey
- Photographed the buildings and used photogrammetry to create 3D models
- Converted LiDAR point cloud data into a 3D topology model.
- Georeferenced buildings, walls and trees
Filming and interaction
- Installed the interactive content in the CAVE at Salford.
- Fitted the historian with tracking and haptic devices.
- Monitored as ITV filmed him walking around inside the model
- pointing out ‘line of sight’ through windows
- soldiers point of view through ‘loop holes’ in the walls surrounding the grounds.
What is a Virtual Reality (VR) CAVE
University of Salfords CAVE
You may also be interested in ...
The Save Hadlow Tower Action Group (SHTAG) commissioned a 3D Interactive Tour of the 53m tall, Grade I listed gothic folly Hadlow Tower and the
As part of the Coastal Communities 2150 project we developed two 3D Online interactives to explore climate change and Sea Level Rise